Monday, November 21, 2011

Making Moves

Life Rundown:
In a matter of hours, I will be headed to The Windy City for a cold Thanksgiving celebration, and I could not be more excited.  Quality family time, celebrating grandma's birthday, and seeing the girlfriend.  What more could a guy ask for?



This past weekend was relatively low-key.  I'm already in vacation mode, so saying that work was not accomplished would be an understatement.  Maybe today will be different?  I'll get back to you.

While I didn't do much work, I did perform with GW's University Singers for my final fall concert as an undergraduate student.  Sounds bittersweet, but I'm more afraid of the emotions that will come with next semester's concert.  The concert went incredibly well, and I'm excited to sing Mozart's Requiem in the spring!

Career Update:
In the past week, I must have sent and received more than 20 career-related e-mails.  Instead of just passively searching for job opportunities, I have taken on the monster that is networking.  I'm setting up meetings, sending my resume to people I consider to be very important (I may come to find that these people are one tier above entry level), and applying for jobs, internships, fellowships, battleships, the whole shabang.  I'm proud of myself, and I hope you all are, too!

Sports Recap:
After losing to Oregon last week, Stanford recovered with a home win over Cal to keep the Axe in Palo Alto.

Up North, USC stunned the Ducks, 38-35, handing Oregon its first defeat at Autzen Stadium in 21 games.  (Fight On, professor?) Despite the loss, Oregon can still clinch the Pac-12 North next week with a win.  However, this misstep opened the door for Stanford to sneak back into the Pac-12 Championship Game.  With another Oregon loss next week, the now 6th-ranked Cardinal will fight for the Pac-12 crown in the first annual Pac-12 Football Championship Game.

In the NFL, the 49ers dominated the Arizona Cardinals (not to be confused with the Stanford Cardinal), 23-7, moving to 9-1 on the season, giving them the second-best record in the league behind Green Bay.  Some analysts are already discussing San Francisco's Super Bowl eligibility.  One thing is certain: the rest of the season could be very fun to watch, especially Thanksgiving night in Baltimore!

Exciting News of the Week:
Three words: Thanksgiving in Chicago.  Need I say more?

Peace, love, football, and turkeys,

Sam

2 comments:

  1. Have fun in Chicago! Tell the girlfriend I miss her :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Want to send the unwanted career opportunities to me?! I could use some leads...haha.

    ReplyDelete