Monday, November 14, 2011

Resting in the City that Never Sleeps


Life Rundown:
I went to New York City this weekend to interview prospective students applying to GW.  This trip, though full of firsts, was not my first venture to the Big Apple.  I've eaten the pizza and bagels, taken the ferry to Liberty Island, strolled through Central Park, even performed in Carnegie Hall.


On the whole, I think Manhattan is a great place to visit with innumerable activities, places to visit, and events to attend.  In terms of living there, though, it's just not for me.  My last visit to "the city" before this weekend came over the summer, and it was not a pleasant one, to say the least.  The highlights: 110-degree heat, suffocating humidity, and distanced friends from high school.

This past weekend was obviously a little bit different.  The weather: beautiful.  The people (fellow Senior Interviewers, accomplished GW alumni, and experienced Admissions staff): awesome.  The food: incredible.  To add to it, I met impressive and inspiring prospective students from all over the area.  Among the applicants was a 15-year-old aspiring engineer with a full two-page resume.  Needless to say, the students, alumni, and Admissions staff in the room felt completely inferior.

However, my biggest takeaway from my trip northward was a reminder of just how much I love DC.  Over the past three and a half years, I have forged an unbreakable bond with this strange city I now call home.  I'm not politically involved, and I've never interned for a Political Consulting firm, yet there's something about this city that feels so comforting for me.  The friends I've made at GW and the people I've met in my time here have forever changed me, and I am so incredibly thankful for all of these experiences I've had.

Career Update:
That's all awesome, but the two most recent jobs I found with MLB.com are in New York City.  Go figure.  One of them is a summer sports writing internship!  I also found a Postgraduate year-long internship at NCAA in Indianapolis (exciting?).  Does somebody want to find me a sports writing job in DC?

Sports Recap:
Speaking of sports, I spent my Saturday night bundled up in my hotel bed watching Stanford play Oregon in California.  Yes, I'm that cool.  And it doesn't help that Stanford lost big time, 53-30.  It was ugly.  The Cardinal can now say good bye to a potential Pac-12 championship, as well as a BCS championship.  However, I'm still proud of my boys and look forward to the rest of the season, including the Big Game this weekend!

As for the 49ers, they defeated the New York Giants at home, finally receiving their long overdue national recognition.  I am extremely excited to see what the rest of the season will look like for the 8-1 Niners, who have five divisional games remaining.  The Seahawks, Cardinals and Rams have combined for eight wins, the same number the 49ers have.

Exciting News of the Week:
Sadly, it's been a relatively calm week, but University Singers will be performing on Sunday at 4 PM at Western Presbyterian Church (24th and G), so come out and support GW's choir!


What to Look Forward to:
Chicago next week!  On Monday, I will head to the Windy City to spend Thanksgiving with my grandma and girlfriend.  As per my last post, I'm very much in need of a break.

Peace, love, and city living,

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment