Friday, December 2, 2011

Chicago Thanksgiving

Life Rundown:
For those of you who are unaware, I spent Thanksgiving in Chicago.  As always, the break was too short, but it was fun while it lasted.  The suburban life was fun, but it is definitely nice to be back in DC!

Disclaimer: This is not my grandma or her group. Image courtesy of Google.

While I was in Chicago, I had the opportunity to watch my grandma's musical theater group, Still Acting Up, rehearse for one of their upcoming shows.  One of their pieces has the actors reminiscing about their lives.  "We were going to be rich and famous, but life got in the way!"  Each of the actors tells their story in song, how one was going to act on Broadway, but instead became a teacher.  One woman even said she wanted to be a model, but instead started a family and let that dream go out the window.  Despite their relative disappointments in not achieving their dreams, they all lived out a different type of dream, fulfilling all the same.  As corny and strange as it may sound, hearing these stories was extremely comforting.  I may not reach my ultimate dream, but it will all work out in the end.  I am sure of it.

Career Update:
BE PROUD -- I applied to an MLB.com summer internship this week!  The position is a sports writing and reporting internship, something I am definitely interested in pursuing.  The deadline for another application is coming up on Monday, and then I believe more listings will pop up over Winter Break!  My winter break may very well consist of skiing, applying to jobs, and writing my thesis.



Earlier this week, I met with the Director of the Sport Management Program in GW's School of Business on Monday, and she was incredibly helpful in terms of looking over my resume and giving me some career ideas!

Tip: meet with professors!  They know so many people and always have something helpful to say.  Even if you don't know them, send an e-mail introducing yourself, because you never know what you might find!

Sports Recap:
Stanford finished the season on a high note with a commanding 28-14 victory over visiting Notre Dame on Saturday.  Unfortunately for the Cardinal, Oregon defeated Oregon State in the annual Civil War, meaning Oregon will represent the Pac-12 North in the Inaugural Pac-12 Football Championship Game against UCLA. Why UCLA, you might ask with a less than impressive 5-4 Pac-12 record?  Well, USC is on probation and is ineligible for postseason play.  Too bad.

For Stanford, it's now a waiting game.  The big question: will Stanford play in a high-profile BCS Bowl game?  Or simply a run-of-the-mill bowl game?  ESPN predicts the Cardinal will face off against Oklahoma State in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl on January 2.

The 49ers eight-game winning streak was snapped at Baltimore on Thanksgiving night.  After driving 45 minutes to my friend's house outside of Chicago in order to watch the game, I was highly disappointed.  The Ravens are an incredibly talented team with one of the stingiest defenses in the country, and there is only so much you can do on four days of rest after flying across the country.  The Niners' performance was flat and uninspiring.  This weekend, San Francisco heads back home to take on the 2-9 Rams.

Exciting News of the Week:
Applications, applications, applications!  Also, as with the rest of you, I can almost smell the finish.  I am so ready to return to California for Winter Break.

Peace, love, internships, and reaching for the stars,

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment