Friday, September 30, 2011

Happy New Year!



שנה טובה! / Shana Tova! / Happy New Year!

For those of you who may be unaware, today marks the first day of the year 5772 (counted since the beginning of Judaism!).  If you're still confused, Wikipedia has the answers!

Traditionally on Rosh Hashanah (literally, "head of the year"), we eat apples and honey in the hopes of having a SWEET year.  I had the fortune of coming home to California to celebrate the holiday with my family, so all indications are pointing toward a very sweet year for me!

A few jottings that have been on my mind since I arrived in California on Saturday:

1) Baseball season is over.  I know many of you will disagree by pointing out that the postseason starts tomorrow night, but because my San Francisco Giants did not allow themselves a chance at a repeat championship, my records all say the season is over.

2) I love my family.  Crazy and dysfunctional as we may be, we're a pretty solid group, and I know for a fact that I would not be where I am today without them.

3) The job hunt has officially begun.  I spent the majority of last night sifting through job listings on various websites with numerous organizations.  The task is daunting, but a strange part of me feels confident that a great opportunity will arise.  As always, let me know if you see something for me!

That's about it for now.  Look forward to a new year's resolution in the near future!

And a sweet video to get you in the spirit!


Peace, love, and honey,

Sam

4 comments:

  1. Shana Tova! One of the girls I live with is Jewish and so she bought a massive crate of apples and had jars of honey lying around. She gave it to all her friends! Now I understand the meaning of why she did that! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shana Tova and now G'Mar Chatima Tova! I loved how your post was incredibly reflective. About life, baseball, etc. That is exactly what I like to do every year during the High Holidays. Hope you have an easy fast next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shana Tova! I agree with Scott and really enjoyed your reflective post...definitely what this time of year is about. I also agree about baseball(although i've still been watching the games with my roommate who loves the Phillies), as a Cubs fan baseball season has seemed to be over for way too long...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to say - Shana Tova. It's so cool you got to go back to your fam.

    ReplyDelete